Missing: fears grow for Rugby photographer

editorial image

A MAN missing on Snowdon since last week was on a mission to 
photograph some of Britain’s most beautiful scenery, according to his photographer friends.

Gerry Coyle, 65, disappeared last Thursday after a two-week tour of Wales. Hours before he went missing he had texted his wife to tell her he was taking the train to the top of the mountain, and was last seen in the summit café at 1pm.

After Mr Coyle failed to make contact with friends and family, the emergency services were alerted on Saturday and North Wales Police, RAF Mountain Rescue and the Search and Rescue Dog Association of Wales have been searching since.

Gordon Smith, who knew Mr Coyle as a member of Dunchurch Photographic Society, said: “I’ve don’t know what to say - I’ve only found out today and this has come as a big shock, it’s very worrying.

“He is a very good photographer and is well known among photographers in and around Rugby for his work.

“The photo society meets this week but I don’t know what it’s going to be like - a lot of people are going to be very worried about him.”

Mr Coyle, who lives in the Hillside Estate, had been staying at the Padarn Lake Hotel in Llanberis.

Bob Mercer of Dunchurch Photographic Society said he believed Mr Coyle had taken a camper van to tour the west coast and would have been at the end of his two-week tour when he reached Snowdon.

“I understand he went away on his own with his camera equipment photographing sunsets and scenery down the west coast,” he added.

Sergeant Rob Rands of North Wales Police said: “Mr Coyle left the hotel stating his intentions to walk to the summit and indeed upon speaking with staff there it appears he made it.

“However he has not been seen since and with the passing of time, and the deteriorating weather conditions, we are increasingly concerned about his safety. I am appealing to anyone who has been walking the mountains of the last few days that if you have seen Mr Coyle to make immediate contact with the police.”

Anyone with information should contact North Wales Police on 03003 300101.

For updates on this story, please visit rugbyadvertiser.co.uk.