Update: Off duty paramedic pulls man from smoking car

West Midlands Ambulance Service has told how an off duty paramedic came across this morning's collision on the A45 near Stretton-on-Dunsmore.

Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 11:26 am
Updated Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 12:27 pm

The paramedic arrived by chance after the collision occurred between two cars at approximately 5.45am this morning (Wednesday) and pulled an unconscious man free from a smoking car.

Two ambulances, a paramedic area support officer and two BASICS Emergency Doctors who fly with the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance, were sent to the site of the collision, along with police and fire crews.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The paramedic, who does not work for WMAS, is believed to have arrived shortly after the crash.

“Due to the condition of the man in one of the cars and the fact that the vehicle appeared to be smoking, he took the decision to get the driver out quickly and start treating him.

“The man, who was in his 20s, had suffered serious head and pelvic injuries. He started to come round while ambulance staff and the doctors treated him.

“He was immobilised and had a pelvic binder put in place before being taken on blue lights to the major trauma centre at University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire.

“Both vehicles had suffered considerable damage and this left the driver in the second car trapped. Ambulance staff requested firefighters attend the scene and the two emergency services staff worked together to get the man out.

“It took around 40 minutes to free the 33-year-old, such was the damage to the car. He had suffered an obvious left arm fracture as well as injuries to his chest and pelvic area.

“He too was immobilised and had a pelvic binder put in place before also being taken on blue lights to the same major trauma centre.”

The A45 westbound carriageway was closed between the A4071 Straight Mile and Stretton Memorial Island after the collision occured this morning.

Warwickshire police said one lane has since re-opened but officers are still in attendance at the scene.