UPDATE: Multiple accidents spell a bad morning for Rugby’s roads

There were three serious accidents on Rugby's roads this morning.
There were three serious accidents on Rugby's roads this morning.

It was a busy start to the day for Rugby’s emergency services, after three serious collisions took place during rush hour this morning (Monday).

If you were stuck in traffic in and around town, the reason will most likely have been one of three incidents.

At 8.11am, emergency services were called to reports of a collision between a car and a pedestrian on Newbold Road, near to Avon Valley School.

An ambulance and two paramedic officers were sent to the scene, along with Warwickshire Police.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “On arrival, crews discovered a 15-year-old boy who was fully conscious and alert.

“He was treated for a serious neck injury as well as cuts and bruises. He was immobilised with the use of a neck collar and scoop stretcher, given pain relief and transported to University Hospital Coventry.

“The car driver, a woman, was uninjured in the incident.”

Avon Valley School confirmed on Twitter that the 15-year-old was a pupil there. They said: “An AVS student was involved in an accident en route to school. Emergency services have responded and parents have been informed.”

Just a minute later, another 999 call was received reporting a collision between a Toyota Yaris and a motorbike at the junction of Brownsover Road and Leicester Road.

Police officers, ambulance crews and the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance were sent to the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “The motorcyclist, a man believed to be in his 50s, was lying in the road when crews arrived.

“He was treated for injuries to his chest, abdomen, pelvis, back and shoulder.

“Crews immobilised him, including the use of a pelvic splint, administered pain relief and transported him to University Hospital Coventry by land ambulance.

“The Air Ambulance doctor travelled with the patient to continue treatment en-route.”

Police confirmed that the Mr Kipling roundabout on Leicester Road was initially closed while officers worked at the scene but it has since re-opened to traffic.

Earlier in the morning at 7.57am, a call was made concerning a collision between a car and a cyclist on Viaduct Close.

An ambulance and a paramedic area support officer attended.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “Crews were told that the cyclist, a man thought to be in his 50s, had been thrown over his handlebars after colliding with a stationary car.

“Ambulance staff treated the man for a head injury and suspected fractured elbow. He was immobilised and given pain relief before also being taken to University Hospital Coventry.

“The combination of the three incidents led to significant traffic delays throughout Rugby that lasted most of the morning.”