Victim needed metal plates to repair fractured jaw after attack in Bank Street

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Metal plates had to be inserted to repair an assault victim’s fractured jaw after he was attacked in Rugby.

A single punch resulted in the man suffering two fractures to his jaw – and he lost a tooth. It took him eight weeks to recover, but he still experienced numbness to his lower lip four months later, a court heard.

Richard Gregorick, a 36-year-old businessman, of Charlotte Street, Rugby, appeared before Coventry Crown Court for sentence on Monday (September 23) afternoon after, last month, admitting causing grievous bodily harm to his victime on November 18 last year.

Prosecutor Jason Pegg said three friends, including two sisters, “went out on the town” drinking.

The victim was outside the The Bank pub in Rugby at about 2.30am and saw Gregorick linking arms with the two girls and he asked him where he was going.

Gregorick replied: “I am taking them home.”

He walked off with the girls and gave the same reply when the man again asked him the same question.

Gregorick suddenly turned round, walked towards the man and said to him: “Were you laughing at me?

“The defendant using his right fist punched the man very heavily, a blow once to the chin on the left hand side,” said the prosecutor.

The victim spun round, his glasses fell off. He fell to the ground and there was a gap in his teeth.

“He suffered two fractures to his jaw, swelling, and his lower left canine tooth had been knocked from its socket.

“He needed surgery under general anaesthetic, when metal plates were inserted into the jaw to repair the fracture.”

The day after the attack, the victim received a text message from Gregorick, expressing remorse for what happened. He wrote: “This is Richard the idiot from Saturday night. I cannot believe it. Once again, I am sorry.”

Gregorick told police he had spent the evening drinking and described his state of drunkenness as “around eight” out of ten. He had a very poor recollection of events.

Mitigating, Lee Marklew described Gregorick as “a settled family man who is extremely industrious. He has had an ongoing problem with alcohol during the last ten years.”

Mr Marklew said his client, who had two convictions for driving with excess alcohol, had “an extremely successful” fledgling business with one employee.

“He thought the man had no right being with the girls,” adding: “He was reckless. He didn’t persist in it [punching] and there was no weapon, other than the fist.”

Gregorick was given 12 months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 200 hours’ unpaid work and told to complete an anger management programme and pay £1,000 compensation to the victim. He was also told to pay £100 victim surcharge, which is used to help victims and witnesses of crime, but no order was made for costs.

Passing sentence, Recorder Robert Spencer-Bernard told Gregorick: “It was an expensive night out for you and I hope it will be a lesson.”