From the Rugby Advertiser archives - February 6, 2020 edition
In the news 100, 50 and 25 years ago
February 6, 1920
Plans have now been adopted for a handsomely designed chapel which it is intended to erect in the close as a memorial to the old scholars of Rugby School who have fallen in the war.
The chapel will be 57 feet in length and will be constructed largely of Clipshaw stone. It will be built in the north west angle of the Close and will be connected with the west door of the School Chapel by a cloister.
The stained glass for the windows has already been given by an old Rugbeian. The names of the fallen, 650 in number, will be inscribed on the walls of the two transcepts.
February 6, 1970
Nearly 200 Rugby telephone subscribers will be having their numbers changed – many of them to six figures – when they are reconnected to the new exchange at Dunchurch which will be opened later this year. The subscribers affected all live in the Bilton area.
The press officer at Telephone House in Coventry told an Advertiser reporter that the new exchange would cater for about 1,000 subscribers initially and then be expended to deal with about 6,000 lines. Work on the exchange has been going on for nearly two years and the initial cost of the equipment housed in the building at Northampton Lane will be £44,000.
February 2, 1995
Workers complaining about redundancies at East Warwickshire College have passed a vote of no confidence in management.
Following weeks of speculation after possible job losses were first revealed in the Advertiser last year, bosses at the college this week announced 32 full and part time jobs are to go from its workforce of more than 450.