FOOTBALL: Division 2 title challenge hotting up

Sunday League round-up

Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 5:12 am
Updated Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 11:09 am


On a very wet and windy Sunday morning Griffin Rokeby took on the Royal Oak in some very slippery conditions. The Griffin started the game with ten men after an injury to a player in the warm-up. So it was advantage Oak. They certainly started the better and after a splendid run down the right flank followed by an unselfish pass in the box, Glen Ewing had the simple job of putting his side one up after 15 minutes.

The Griffin had a chance to level things but the effort was just too high. Just before the break the Oak doubled their lead after a shot from Chris Slaughter went through the hands of Adam Hartwell in the Griffin goal. Griffin came close on the stroke of half-time when Aaron Manders long range effort was tipped over the bar.

The Griffin started the second-half well and within three minutes had pulled a goal back when Pete Murray lobbed the Oak keeper. They then had a chance to level but could only watch has the effort was cleared off the goal-line. The Oak then restored their two-goal lead when Josh Goodwin’s edge of the box free-kick found the roof of the Griffin net.

As Griffin restarted the game they lost the ball and a long-range effort from Dean Oldham found the bottom corner of the net to make it 4-1. The Griffin fought back again with a goal from Kane Maunder to make it 4-2. Nick Matthews then hit a brace to make it 6-2 before Griffin’s Jack Curtis hit the last goal of the game to make it 6-3.

The Barley Mow went behind twice to CRC but goals from Oleg Stroi and Lee Golding gave them a well earned 2-2 draw.

Athletico Belbao also drew 2-2 with Clifton Bulls. David Maggs and Luke Pritchard scored for Belboa and in reply were Michael Glover and James Sweeney.

In Division 2 the challenge for top spot is hotting up with all the top three winning this week. Drayton Grange eased past bottom club Caldecott Arms 14-2, leaving them still looking for their first points of the season.

Rugby FC kept their challenge alive, beating the Avon Mill 5-0 who have lost their last four. Lloyd Senna hit a brace, while James Burke, Patrick O’Brien and Shane Osborne added singles. Third placed Royal Oak Reserves also had a comfortable victory, beating Quigley’s 5-1.

A team climbing the table slowly but surely are the Webb Ellis and a 7-3 win over close rivals CRC Reserves moves them up the table. Jamie Fox hit a hat-trick, Louis Gerrard hit a brace and Pearce Macleod and Connor Macleod added singles.

Finally, good luck to the Griffin who are in County Cup action on Sunday.

Fixtures for Sunday 27th: Division 1: Royal Oak v Clifton, Barley Mow v Athletico Belbao, Lawford v CRC.

Division 2: Quigleys v Hollybush, Rugby FC v Braunston, Avon Mill v Webb, Caldecott v CRC Res, Royal Oak Res v Drayton.