FOOTBALL: Rugby win top of the table clash

Rugby & District Sunday League round-up

Monday, 31st October 2016, 3:52 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:47 pm


Starting in Division 2 this week with a top of the table battle between Rugby FC and Drayton Grange from Daventry.

The game started at a very fast pace and we didn’t have to wait long for the first chance, which fell to Drayton who watch their effort cleared off the goal-line in the fifth minute.

At the other end a 35-yard screamer from Rugby’s Shane Osborne was tipped over the bar. Two minutes later they had another chance to go ahead from a close-range effort that went around the post. It was Drayton who eventually took the lead in the 25th minute when a shot from the edge of the penalty-box took a wicked deflection giving the Rugby keeper no chance.

It was a goalkeeper’s nightmare five minutes later that led to the equaliser. On the half hour a cross into the penalty box saw the keeper jump and catch the ball, but then he dropped it, giving Lloyd Senna a clear shot at goal and he made it 1-1. The first half had seen both clubs create chances in a very good solid game of football, but it was even at the break.

Fifteen minutes into the second half Drayton were reduced to ten men after an injury and Rugby FC made the extra man count. With 65 minutes on the clock Patrick O’Brien latched onto a cross which he thundered against the under-side of the bar. The ball bounced on the line and then trickled over to give them a 2-1 lead.

Three minutes later a cross from the right wing found Shane Osborne in space and he rounded the defender and slotted past the keeper to make it 3-1. With ten minutes left O’Brien grabbed a second for the day with an 18-yard strike that gave the keeper no chance and it ended 4-1.

Quigley’s and the Avon Mill fought out an 11-goal thriller, but it was Quigley’s who came out on top winning it 6-5. Michael Treacy hit a hat-trick, while brother Adam, David Hoppitt and Steve Chew also scored for Quigley’s. In reply were Scott McIntyre, Joe Pruden, Chevaize Wrighton, Tom Protheroe and Stuart McQuillan.

Caldecott Arms are still looking for points and took a 12-2 thumping from Webb Ellis in a game that saw Jamie Fox hit eight. He was backed up with goals from Connor McLeod, Craig Hartfield, Louis Gerrard and Chris Daulman. In reply James Osborne and Joe North. In a shock result the Holly Bush beat CRC Reserves 4-2.

In Division 1 The Royal Oak and the Barley Mow drew 1-1 and CRC beat Clifton Bulls 4-2.

The games between Griffin v Lawford and Braunston v Royal Oak Reserves were called off.

It’s cup weekend this Sunday (6th) and here is the draw:

Group 1: Quigley’s v Royal Oak, Drayton Grange v Lawford.

Group 2: Hollybush v Avon Mill, CRC Reserves v CRC.

Group 3: Webb v Athletico Belbao, Rugby FC v Griffin.

Group 4: Royal Oak Reserves v Barley Mow, Clifton v Caldecott.