FOOTBALL: Sunday league round-up

Lawford beat leaders Royal Oak

Monday, 21st March 2016, 3:26 pm
Updated Monday, 21st March 2016, 3:27 pm



Starting in the top flight and the battle for top-spot. The Royal Oak were missing a couple of key players because of suspensions and couldn’t hold the current league Champions Lawford who beat them 7-2. James Smith and Lee Vince scored hat-tricks and Sean Castleton added a single. The teams meet again on April 10 in a final showdown that could see one of them crowned champions.

The Barley Mow against The Webb was short of some quality finishing. The best effort was from Sean Drake who saw his effort saved. Both sides created few real chances in a first-half that ended 0-0. In the second half The Webb had plenty of efforts but they were all wide of the mark. With just four minutes remaining the Barley won a corner and after a miss-kick Sean Drake slotted home from just two yards out. The Barley had the three points and the Webb deserved something out of the game, but too many wayward efforts cost them dearly. Athletico Belbao pulled off a 1-1 draw with the Prince of Wales. Alex Linnell got the Athletico goal.

In Division 2 the race to be promoted winners has hotted up after the leaders Griffin were beaten by second- placed Clifton Bulls. It was the Griffin who took the lead in the 25th minute when Peter Murray slotted home a corner kick. It took the Bulls just five minutes to pull level with a Danny Riddell strike. Both clubs had chances to increase their tally but they went in at the break level. Nine minutes into the second half Clifton took the lead when Danny Riddell doubled his account with a 30-yard scorcher that found the roof of the net. The Griffin then won a free-kick just outside the penalty area and Matty Lea floated the ball into the top left-hand corner to square the game at 2-2.

There were 20 minutes to play when Clifton won a penalty and Riddell converted from the spot to complete his hat-trick. The Griffin battled on but the game was finally put-to bed when James Sweeney made it 4-2 with just seven minutes to play. Had the Griffin won on Sunday, they would have won the division. However, the Griffin have a three-point lead and both clubs have three games to play.

In the derby game of the day Quigley’s beat On the Rocks Quigley’s 3-1. While the Royal Oak first team had a bad day their Reserves faired much better, beating the Avon Mill 6-2. Matt Wingrove 2, Deane Paigne, Andrew Gilroy, Stacey Bennett and Jim Morris scored the Oak goals.

CRC Reserves also had a good day. They beat the Red Lion 5-3. Adam Gould, Simon Barclay, Kelvin Pugh, Matt Shipman all scored and there was an own goal.

The Cup draws for Sunday: Hospital Cup semi-finals: Barley Mow v Royal Oak (WIN 1) Lawford v CRC (ASH 1)

The Advertiser Cup quarter-finals: Match 1: Athletico B v Griffin (WIN 2), Match 2: Royal Oak Reserves v Quigley’s (ASH 2), Match 3: Red Lion v On the Rocks (ALWYN 1), Match 4: Prince of Wales v Braunston (ALWYN).

It is the league’s intention to run an Over 35s League during the 2016/17 season. Any clubs interested should contact Stuart on 07805 127399.