FOOTBALL: Sunday league round-up


Rugby FC go top of Division 2


The Barley Mow took on Athletico Belbao and it was the Barley who were on top from the start. In the tenth minute Darren Wood hit a superb strike from 20 yards out, which had the keeper going the wrong way but he some how managed to get a foot to the shot and deflect it away from goal. Minutes later the Barley won a corner and saw the resulting header cleared off the goal-line. On the half hour the Barley won a corner and Justin Neal rose above everyone to power home a cracking header to put the Barley in front.

Within a minute of the restart they went 2-0 up when Lee Golding converted a superb cross from Liam Bailey. The Barley maintained their grip on the game and another goal from Neal plus one from Alin Lascu made it 4-0 at the finish. Lawford were ripped apart by CRC, who won the game 4-1.

Lee Thomas hit four, Karl Foster and Josh Goodwin added singles as a nine-man Royal Oak beat Clifton Bulls 6-3. Luke Townsend 2 and Ollie Hartnack replied for Clifton.

It was a double celebration for the Royal Oak as their Reserves also won. They beat table-topping Drayton Grange 2-1. Robert Gwababan and Nic Tomes getting the goals. It also meant Rugby FC went top of Division 2 thanks to goals from Tom Hughes and Patrick O’Brien, which gave them a 2- 0 win against Braunston.

CRC Reserves scraped a 4-3 victory against the Caldecott Arms. Babu Jatta hit a hat-trick and Harry Holloway a single for CRC and in reply Richard Hitchin, Daryl Carter and James Osborne scored for Caldecott.

The Webb Ellis really turned the screw against the Avon Mill. There was a brace each for Ian Knight, Loius Gerrard and Jamie Fox, while Connor Macleod, Darius Smith and Adrian Cook added singles as they won 9-2. Scott McIntyre and Joe Pruden scored for the Mill.

Fixtures for Sunday 3rd: Division 1: Royal Oak v Griffin, Clifton v Athletico Belbao, Barley Mow v CRC.

Division 2: Braunston v Quigleys, Hollybush v Avon Mill v Webb v Drayton Grange, Royal Oak Resserves v Caldecott, CRC Reserves v Rugby FC.