FOOTBALL: Sunday’s Rugby & District round-up


Griffin through to next round of county cup


The Royal Oak took on a ten-men Athletico Belbao in the only first division game on Sunday due to clubs being involved in County cup competitions. Athletico had set their stall out to defend and held out until the 17th minute when a close-range shot from Oak’s Anthony Foster was deflected by James O’Hanlon past Lee Mace in goal to put them one up.

Athletico were then unlucky not to level after they won a corner, which was slammed against the under-side of the bar and landed on the goal-line without going in. The Oak started to get on top but couldn’t find a way through the rearguard of Athletico.

The second half proved a little different and the Oak’s final ball started to tell. There were 12 minutes gone in the half when Alan Bloomfield latched onto a cross to make it 2-0. Just two minutes later and Josh Goodwin headed home from six yards out. He then made it 4-0 with a bullet of a strike. With ten minutes left Shane Powell headed home number five and in the last minute Wez McCullough rounded three defenders and the keeper to slot home a solo effort to make it 6-0 at the finish.

In Division 2, Sean Rye hit a brace for the Hollybush as they drew 2-2 with Rugby FC whose goal scorers were Shane Osborne and Jack Cannell. The Avon Mill just lost out to Drayton Grange 2-1. Jamie Malin got the Mill goal.

Quigley’s had taken a 2-0 lead by half time in their game against Webb Ellis and early in the second half made it 3-0 before the Webb pulled a goal back late on with a Jamie Fox strike.

Joe North scored for Caldecott as they crashed 4-1 at the hands of Braunston.

Royal Oak Reserves made it a double for the club after they beat CRC Reserves 4-3. Andy Gilroy, Drew Coleman, Nic Tomes and Wes Klopper scored for Oak whilst Babu Jatta, Callum Howling and Adam Gould replied.

The Griffin were engaged in a County Cup competition against Ridge Lane from Nuneaton. They started the game well and were rewarded in the 22nd minute when Jack Curtis opened the scoring with a 20-yard strike. It remained at 1-0 until just after the break when Curtis found himself with room to bang in his second. With an hour on the clock Pat Walle contributed a lovely solo effort to put the Griffin 3-0 up.

Ridge Lane never gave up the ghost and were rewarded in the 80th minute with a goal to make it 3-1. Just before the end the Griffin won a penalty and Curtis stepped up in an attempt to complete his hat-trick, but the keeper pulled off a fine save to deny him and the score stayed at 3-1. More importantly they are into the next round.

Fixtures for Sunday 30th: Division 1: Griffin v Lawford, Royal Oak v Barley Mow, Clifton v CRC.

Division 2: Quigley’s v Avon Mill, Rugby FC v Drayton Grange, Caldecott v Webb Ellis, CRC Reserves v Hollybush, Braunston v Royal Oak Res.