FOOTBALL: Trophy celebrations for two Hillmorton teams

Hillmorton Under 10s Colts won their cup final 4-3 on penalties, after being level with Norton Lindsey 1-1 at full time
Hillmorton Under 10s Colts won their cup final 4-3 on penalties, after being level with Norton Lindsey 1-1 at full time

Cup final victories for the Under 10s Colts and Under 13s

U7s Juniors : TE cup group round (Sponsored by Fish +, Bilton Road): Match 1 -v Firefighters Rangers 2-2 aet (Firefighters won 5-4 on penalties): A truly pulsating match was settled by an epic penalty shootout. Hillmorton dominated the first half, with Cavan Geehan bringing a dropping ball under control and finishing with a beautiful shot low into the corner.
Firefighters and deservedly equalised midway through the second half. With a minute to go Firefighters were awarded a free kick which was smashed home by their striker. With the last kick of the game, Paddy Nealon charged down a clearance from the keeper and the ball rebounded into the net. A deserved draw which couldn’t be settled in extra time.
Cue a brilliant penalty shootout, full of quality strikes and saves, which swung in each team’s favour several times before being clinched by Firefighters on the 10th round.

Cup champions Hillmorton Under 13s beat Kenilworth Colts 2-1 in the final

Cup champions Hillmorton Under 13s beat Kenilworth Colts 2-1 in the final

U7s Juniors: Match 2 v Leamington Brakes Blue 2-3: Due to there only being three teams in the group, Hillmorton were forced to play their second match straight after the first. The boys showed incredible energy to take a 2-0 lead early on. First Felipe scored an unstoppable free kick from midway in Leamington’s half. He then toe poked a corner ball through to Eddy Bailey who hit a left-footed shot low past the goalie. As the match progressed tiredness started to creep in and Hillmorton gradually retreated into their own half. Despite continued effort, Leamington were able to draw level. They scored the decisive goal with only a few minutes left. Hillmorton didn’t get the results their spirit and commitment deserved, but can be proud of themselves.

U8s Juniors : v Coventry United: Hillmorton played some neat and tidy passing football and came out as deserved winners. The boys went 1-0 up when Noah Greer played a short corner to Dontai Banton, who rocketed a shot into the net. Noah then scored himself after picking the ball up in midfield. The opposition scored a goal back just after half time, but Hillmorton responded perfectly, extending their advantage immediately, a shot from Kyron Worster hit the post and bounced off the keeper and into the net.
Shamus O’Hare got on the scoresheet after non stop hustling of the defence created an opportunity. Shamus then completed the scoring with a fine header into the net from a Dontai corner. All the boys played some fantastic football throughout but man of the match went to both Kyron Worster and Jack Stobson for their tireless work rate and teamwork.

U10s Juniors: v Chetwynd A Lions (Sponsored by K.B Carpentry & General Building Services) Spring Trophy 3-0: It was always going to be a cagey affair playing a team a league above and so it was for the first ten minutes. Hillmorton broke the deadlock with a great midfield pass from Joseph up the wing to Toby B, passing to Mason just inside the box who slotted in Archie for a great team goal.
Second half was more of the same but it was Hillmorton who scored next with Toby B’s defence-splitting pass, putting Mason in one-on-one with the keeper. He took his shot which the goalie parried in front of Toby L, who calmly slotted for 2-0 to Hillmorton. The game was won when their goalkeeper spilled the ball into his own net from a corner.
Man of the Match: Alex D. Best effort: Toby B.

U10s Blues: Blues won 3-0 in the Summer Coventry and Warwickshire Trophy event group game 2. In a stalemate first half both teams created chances but couldn’t finish. In the second half the opposition won a penalty, but Joe Gunn Reeves made a brilliant save. This was the turning point and lifted every Hillmorton player.
A different team was on show and after some good interplay between Taio Welch and Ethan Humphreys, Ethan calmly finished for 1-0. Minutes later Marley Mantey lobbed the ball over the defense for Taio Welch to run on, and perfectly finish for 2-0. Some great defending from Daniel Rogers, Zinedine Hussain, Noah Stewart and the hard working Daniel Humphreys in midfield maintained the score. A counterattack from Max Smith put in Taio, who squared the ball to Marley who calmly tapped in for 3-0.

Blues showed a great a attitude against a team they had lost to previously as well as great sportsmanship.
Man of the Match: Joe Gunn Reeves, well deserved.

U10s Colts (Sponsored by Morgan Sindall) v Norton Lindsey 1-1 aet, Colts won 5-3 on penalties: Hillmorton faced the mighty Norton Lindsey who had only lost once in three seasons in this competition. Hillmorton were quick to start and didn’t give NL any time to settle.

Fierce but fair tackles from the solid defence William Thomson and Soren Taylor with captain Arthur Bennett protecting them just in front ensured Hillmorton’s attacking players Mason Morris, James Carey could pile forward and it was from this that Declan Montgomery drilled in an unstoppable shot. Changes were made with Harry Dodds leading from the front, chasing everything down.
Leo Grimes and the Zinedine Hussain kept NL on the back foot with their pace a constant threat. Ethan Powell kept the defence tight with some good interceptions and clearances. Lastly hero of the day goalkeeeper Samuel Attenborough who, after NL managed to level at 1-1, saved three penalties when Colts were 3-1 down to bring the cup home 4-3. Penalties: Arthur, Ethan, Samuel and Zinedine.

U11s Cup Semi Final: Central Ajax 1 Hillmorton Juniors 3: (Sponsored by Edwards Mortgage Solutions & Edward Knight): This was a game of two halves, first half Juniors dominated and scored three lovely goals, two from Owen ‘Hoddle’ Williams, one a trademark 20-yarder and a single from on-form Jayden Miller. Patrick Coulson was rarely troubled in goal, but still pulled off a ‘Gordan Banks’ in the second half.
Another huge team effort, notable mentions to rock solid Captain Mason King, Toby Edwards, whose tackles broke up play all second half and Man of the Match Owen Williams, who effectively won the game after 20 minutes.
Cup final against Kenilworth Town, April 6, and is this side’s seventh consecutive final in the 17 months that they have formed, based on the foundation of success achieved through teamwork and enjoyment.

U13s Final: Kenilworth Colts 1 Hillmorton 2 (sponsored by Nationwide Windows): Hillmorton struggled for the first 15 minutes and were only kept in it by two goalline clearances by Aryan Chima and a decent save from Leon Rendall.
A pretty uneventful first half meant it was 0-0 at half time. Second half saw a change of formation and Hillmorton started to take control. A punt forward from Leon was controlled by a Colts defender, only for Lucas Coates to beat two defenders and calmly slot past the on coming keeper. Minutes later and a bouncing ball was headed on from Harvey Owen, which left Rhys Fleet to round the keeper for 2-0. Colts hit a late goal to make it a nervy finish, but the whistle was met by a loud cheer from the strong travelling support.Proud moment. All the lads put in a great display and deserved this win.
Man of the match: Jack Hartwell, solid at left back.
Squad: Leon Rendall, Alfie Rendall, Aryan Chima, Oliver Murray, Jack Hartwell, Jai Chima, Sonny Greenhalgh, Evan Lowe, Owen Rimmer, Harvey Owen, Rhys Fleet, Lucas Coates and John Marshall.