RUGBY TOWN: Five-goal Town end year on a high

Richard Blythe against Daventry on Boxing Day
Richard Blythe against Daventry on Boxing Day

Kolodynski hat-trick and two for recent signing Cunniff

Calor League – Central Division

North Greenford United 1

Rugby Town 5

A David Kolodynski hat-trick helped Rugby ease to a comfortable win in Middlesex despite going a goal down after just five minutes to struggling Greenford.

Recent signing Jared Cunniff made a first start for the increasingly dilapidated Town side – marking his debut by scoring twice.

The home side certainly started the brighter, with Myles Stephenson hitting the post from their first attack. They were soon ahead though when Louis Stead collected an accurate pass from Stephenson - after he had dispossessed Nathan Haines - and the United forward slotted home from inside the area.

Rugby had their first shot on target after 12 minutes when Greg Kazaboni hit high and over from 20 yards.

Valley then got back into the game from the penalty spot, after Kolodynski had been upended in the area after a good run, and the in-form striker coolly placed his kick into the bottom right corner leaving home goalkeeper Lee Pearce stranded.

Town were now finding their stride, and it was no surprise that they took the lead in the 28th minute when Cunniff scored from close range after an initial good pass from Kazaboni had led to a bit of a scramble, with Kolodynski managing to touch the ball before Cunniff poked home.

Richard Blythe nearly scored minutes later, however his goalbound header was inadvertently intercepted by Kolodynski and the danger passed.

In the 44th minute, Cunniff added his second and Rugby’s third when he had a simple tap in from three yards out from Kolodynski’s pass.

In the second half, Town continued to press and ten minutes after the restart Kolodynski scored a cracking goal unleashing an unstoppable shot from Kazaboni’s ball following a decent run.

The home side now were getting tired and just before Rugby’s fifth Blythe hit the post.

Valley’s final goal came in the 72nd minute when Kolodynski got his hat-trick. Lewis McBride pumped a decent ball into the area which the keeper parried, but Kolodynski tucked home the rebound.