editorial image

The week’s round-up

U8s: Rugby Town Eagles v Narborough Foxes: The Eagles went into the last game of 2012 looking to continue their recent run of success. The muddy conditions made play difficult, but the action was brisk, with Reece scoring in the eighth minute, Narborough equalising a minute later, and Reece replying with another goal almost immediately. Mattie’s defence soaked up increased pressure from the visitors, and Rugby remained ahead at half time.

The pace increased in the second half, with Yaqub scoring a hat-trick in two minutes. Foxes fought back, but Aidan’s solid goalkeeping, useful clearances from Robert, and Mattie’s ability to be everywhere at once kept the scoreline unchanged. Accurate passing from Dylan in midfield helped Yaqub and Reece to collect another three goals. Narborough pulled one back but a fine goal from Charlie sealed the result.

A well-deserved man of the match for Mattie’s defending, and a fitting end to the year.

U10s: Epworth Forest Juniors 1 Rugby Town Eagles (sponsored by COBA) 1: The first half was dominated by both teams defence with Emre Sheehan and Archie McMillan breaking down any attacks and Rugby’s keeper Jake Thomas with a few good saves to keep the scores level at half time.

A few second half changes gave Rugby a bit more emphasis but it was Epworth who scored first, which finally kicked Rugby into life and soon Captain Lewis Pountney equalised with a typical burst down the wing firing home an excellent low shot.

Lee Gregory ensured the home side didn’t score again with some timely tackles and Jack Saunders worked hard without any reward.

Man of the match Ben Hillyard worked tirelessly all game and nearly got a late winner but his shot hit the post.

The final score was 1-1 and with Rugby not at their best, probably a fair result.

U11s Division E: Rugby Town Colts 5 Pinley 2: (Sponsored by and Stobarts): Colts finished the year with festive cheer and a confident win.

Rugby were four-up inside the first 17 minutes. Adam Fry tucked home Jake Smith’s cross, before Callum Arnold capitalised on a misplaced goalkick to make it two. Striker Nathan Bwalya then netted twice; his first a tap-in after Arnold’s mazy run into the box and cheeky flick came back off the bar, then slotting home after Arnold’s breakaway run and pass.

Pinley rallied after half-time, twice punishing Colts failure to clear the ball to make it 4-2. But brave goalkeeping from Will Basford and timely defensive tackles from Taylor Pearson and Dionrae Reid kept Rugby on top.

Some good passing moves created chances for William Forrester, Paul Trow and Sam Boazman to all go close. But Arnold and Bwalya combined once more for the striker to complete his hat-trick and seal the win with ten minutes to go.

U11s: Mount Nod 0 Rugby Town Juniors 5 (sponsored by Subway): Quickly into the game, Rugby were playing one and two touch football. A fine example of this came from Jack Cunningham and Joshua Thomas, leading to Dan Clarke volleying home 0-1.

This was soon followed by a fiercely driven shot by Ben Whitehead, 0-2.

Rugby continued in the same high gear in the second half and from a goal mouth scramble, Dan Morgan instinctively poked the ball away, 0-3. All the time Rugby continued the total football and when Joe Hartwell found himself one-on-one with the keeper, despite the keeper trying to bring him down, kept his composure and got Rugby’s fourth. The floodgates opened and with a solo run, Ben Whitehead fired the ball into the roof of the net, 0-5. Stand-out performances from Dan Clarke, Jack Cunningham, Ethan Arnold, Ben Whitehead and Todd Bignell.

MJPL U12s: Rugby Town 0 St John’s Colts 3: Rugby Town, sponsored by Sewell Brothers Building & Moserve, were pleased to survive the weather and welcome St Johns to Kilsby Lane.

Town started brightly and although they had large spells of possession and creating chances St John’s were the first to strike. Town continue to press and did have the ball in the net only to be disallowed for offside.

In the second half Town pushed again but St John’s added two further goals to finish off the game. Town felt disappointed with the result and although they had great spells in the game they need to concentrate as a squad to eliminate mistakes and finish off chances.

U13s: Division D: Leamington Brakes 4 Rugby Town Boys 2: The Boys started well making use of both wing backs to push forward and get crosses into the box.

The benefit was realised after 11 minutes when a cross from the left by Adam Birch was met by Martin Moxon, on the edge of the box to drill the ball home.

On the odd occasion that Leamington broke through, Joao Trincao was in great form in the Boys goal. On the half hour mark the Boys won a corner, the ball was swung in from the left by Adam Birch where Oliver Shears headed the ball back across the face of the goal for Ben Smith to prod home and send the Boys into half time 2-0 up.

The Boys did not have the same composure in the second half and let the game slip away. Man of the match – Conner Diamond.

Thanks to our sponsors – Hilton Watford.

n Six winners: Ian Pack, D.Johnson, K.Lowe, S.Insley, S.Fairgrieve, P.McNally. J.Laing, M.Brace, C.Smith each collected £123 in Rugby Town JFC’s lottery this week. To play call (01788) 331905. In 2012 the lottery has raised £7,523.