RUGBY TOWN: Victory over Uxbridge

Lewis McBride against Uxbridge
Lewis McBride against Uxbridge

Report by Jon Venner

Calor League – Central Division

Rugby Town 3

Uxbridge 1

Town came from behind for the second game running to record a seventh successive league victory last Saturday.

A youthful Uxbridge side pushed Valley all the way though, with all the game’s four goals coming in the second half.

New signing Greg Kaziboni made his competitive debut in place of Josh O’Grady in the only change from the previous game at Beaconsfield.

Both teams eased themselves into the match, with little of note to report until visiting keeper Rourke Pickford pushed Sam Youngs’s in-swinging corner onto the woodwork after 15 minutes.

Craig Kelly’s long range effort was easily taken by Pickford, with Uxbridge then threatening at the other end when Niall Cooper pushed away Kieran Knight’s effort from distance.

Before that Town had been lucky to escape a penalty, when Alex Gudger’s clumsy challenge on skipper Wayne Carter went unpunished.

Debutant Kaziboni had a good shot blocked, and then he got in behind on the right – but was unable to find a team-mate with his cross, before David Kolodynski struck the base of both posts with his low strike.

The visitors responded immediately to this close escape, with Kelly executing an important saving tackle on Knight – with the striker poised to hit the target.

The second period also started slowly, with clear cut chances at a premium – although Seb Lake-Gaskin and Kolodynski almost combined to break the deadlock, but the former’s pull-back was just too high to allow the latter to make a telling contact.

Instead it was the always dangerous-looking Uxbridge that struck first on 57 minutes when Craig Tomkins outmuscled Alex Gudger on the right, before picking out Lewis Wallace – whose first time finish beat Cooper from close range.

Rugby were level within ten minutes though, when a well-worked move - including contributions from Kolodynski and Lake-Gaskin – was rounded-off successfully with a carefully placed finish from the edge of box by Youngs.

With the game evenly poised, Valley pushed hard to seize the initiative, with Youngs heading Kelly’s cross over the bar.

Town’s second came when Kolodynski showed good control and composure after he had chased down a long pass, before rolling the ball across to Lake-Gaskin – who helped it home with just nine minutes of normal time remaining.

Shortly after, Kolodynski got on the end of another long ball – this time by Mason Rowley – and from his subsequent run at goal, keeper Pickford’s clearance bounced back off him and over the line to make it three-one.

Substitute Mitchell Piggon could have added a fourth in added-on time, but he scuffed his effort after he had skipped around Pickford.