SUNDAY FOOTBALL: Division Two title decided on goal difference

Rugby & District Sunday Football League - sponsored by Melbros

Monday, 20th March 2017, 6:36 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:57 am

Three goals in three minutes sealed the fate of the Griffin. The Griffin started off well against the Barley Mow in which both teams came close to opening their account in the early stages of the game.

A blustery wind was making it difficult for both teams but it was the Barley who took the lead in the 23rd minute when Rob Littlejohn’s shot hit the post and Sean Drake followed up to tap the ball home.

Within a minute they doubled their lead from a corner which Littlejohn fired home. It was 3-0 a minute later when Vladislav Timciuc’s shot from the edge of the box flew into the top corner of the net. Two minutes before the break a Sean Drake effort wasn’t held by the keeper and he was left with a simple tap in for 4-0.

The Griffin were gifted a lifeline five minutes into the half when they won a penalty which Pete Murray converted. From the restart the Barley won a corner which wasn’t cleared and Littlejohn was on hand to smash the loose ball home for number five. The Griffin never gave up and had a couple of really good chances to improve the scoreline.

In the 80th minute a shot from the edge of the penalty box from Griffin’s Jack Curtis deceived the Barley keeper and crept into the bottom corner to make it 5-2. Time ran out for the Griffin and they will look back on the three minutes during the first half that cost them the game.

Lawford and Clifton Bulls were level at 3-3 at the break but a second half dominated by Lawford and five more goals gave Lawford the points in an 8-3 win. Jimmy Smith hit four, Stuart Mitchell got a brace, Dildale Linton and Sam Walden added singles. For Clifton Ollie Hartnack scored two, with one from Luke Townsend.

League leaders CRC were beaten 3-2 by the Royal Oak. Dean Owen with two and Shane Hunt scored the goals for the Oak.

In Division Two Drayton Grange were crowned Champions on goal difference after they beat the Avon Mill 3-1. The Grange went a goal down to a Tom Protheroe strike after just two minutes but fought their way back with goals from Tony Birkett, Stuart Clarke and Mike Fielding to win the game 3-1.

Second spot goes to Rugby FC who also won on Sunday, beating CRC Reserves 3-0. Kevin Pickering and Lloyd Senna 2, scored the goals. Quigley’s brought their league fixtures to an end with a 2-1 win against Braunston. Tom Robinson and Mike Reynolds scored for Quigleys and in reply was Liam Buckley.

Fixtures for Sunday 26th: Lawford v Barley Mow, CRC v Athletico Belbao; Avon Mill v Braunston.