Frustration but now three bottom clubs

Action from Webb Ellis Road - Rugby v Atherstone Town
Action from Webb Ellis Road - Rugby v Atherstone Town

It was a frustrating weekend for Rugby Cricket Club as 1sts and 3rds were abandoned from interesting positions and the 2nds game was ruined by rain when they were in a very strong position.

Rugby 1st XI v Atherstone

Rugby opted to bat first against fourth place Atherstone. When a heavy shower arrived about five minutes after the toss, drenching the ground and reducing the game to 42 overs that looked to have backfired, especially when Rugby were then reduced to 25-3.

A partnership then developed between Owen Edwards and Matt Ewer. Owen was the dominant partner as he displayed his typically belligerent form, looking to latch onto anything slightly overpitched or short.

Matt was more circumspect looking to find form after a string of low scores and ‘did not bats’. Eventually, just as Ewer (30) was looking to break the shackles he dragged a wide one onto his stumps and the partnership was broken but the stand of 99 had changed the nature of the game. Edwards pushed on, never letting the bowlers settle and was caught on the boundary for 79 trying to further push the score on. The last 5 wickets then fell for 35 runs, illustrating what a good innings Owens had been on what was a flat but very slow pitch and Rugby were all out in their last over for 189.

Rugby were feeling very confident that would be enough as it was more than any team has scored against them this year but unfortunately at that point the rain came tumbling down again and, with lightening and thunder in the area, the umpires had no choice but to call the game off even once the rain had stopped.

Match abandoned and 7 points for Rugby. In the battle between second and third placed Southam and Pak Shaheen, Southam were able to get a full game in and came out on top which pushes them above Pak Shaheen and into second place, 28 points behind Rugby.

Rugby travel to Pickwick P&M next week in a series to come of three games that sees them play three of the bottom four teams in the table.

With success in those Rugby will be looking good for promotion.

RCC 2nd XI v

Knowle Village

In some ways a frustrating day for the 2nds and in others very satisfying.

The 2s were away to 2nd placed Knowle Village in what at the start of the day was a four-way race for two promotion spots.

Rugby batted first and with Chris Evans (40) following last weeks century and Keith Bradbury in impressive form then Knowle attack was put to the sword.

Bradbury (89) played a captains knock in the big game and was supported ably by Mo Sadiq (24) returning to cricket after a few weeks out, and youngsters Glyn Tapp (36) and Tom Mitchell (29). Rugby finished on a very strong 274 in their 50 overs.

Unfortunately rain had again struck and Knowle Villages’ innings was reduced to 25 overs meaning there was very little chance of a result. Knowle decided not to chase the winning draw meaning that the game petered out into a winning draw for Rugby as Knowle scored 44-2.

Frustrating that a chance to chase the win was denied but a good points swing in Rugby’s favour as they made up 8 points on their closest rivals.

With top placed Bourneville losing and Kenilworth being abandoned the top 3 are now separated by 2 points in this division in what looks like a race that will go down to the wire.

RCC 3rd XI v


High flying Rugby 3rds entertained Newbold and again the weather robbed the game of what looked like a tight finish.

Newbold batted first and scored 175. Rugby were on 85-5 when the rain came, washing out the rest of the match.