Jepsen Jensen lands to aid Bees’ play-off cause

Alan Goodman
Alan Goodman
Share this article

Denmark international Michael Jepsen Jensen will make his Coventry Speedway debut tomorrow after joining the club as they bid to reach the end of season play-offs, writes Alan Goodman.

Making way will be Ryan Fisher who has had much-documented visa problems for his family and, along with machine problems and injuries, he has not put in the performances needed at this level.

Ironically in his last meeting he turned one of his best performances of the season.

Bees 48, Wolverhampton 42.

When these two get together one can be sure of a good speedway meeting.

The visitors were led by world champion Tai Woffinden.

Bees had Simon Lambert guesting for the absent Jason Garrity.

When it got going, there was a surprise opening to heat one which was restarted after a nervy first attempt.

Wolves led from the gate but Woffinden picked up grip on the first turn, lifted and was out of contention.

Instead it was his partner Jacob Thorssel who led from the start for an opening 3-3.

A good first lap to heat two saw Lambert draw ahead after a good battle with Joe Jacobs. James Sarjeant took third after Ashley Morris pulled out.

Chris Harris won heat three with Kenneth Hansen getting the better of Ricky Wells on the third lap.

Thorssel won his second race in heat four and with Morris taking third the visitors were only four behind.

Bees took another 5-1 in heat five. Hans Andersen was the winner but Harris had to retake Wells after the latter had taken advantage of a ‘Bomber’ mistake on turn two.

Bees now led by eight and the next two heats were shared.

Bees were on a 4-2 in heat eight but Kyle Howarth took a nasty tumble on turn four and the race was stopped.

Howarth later withdrew from the meeting with a wrist injury. Hansen easily won the re-run to leave Bees leading 28-20 at the halfway stage.

This may have appeared reasonably comfortable but when Wolverhampton are around nothing is safe.

Heat nine was stopped after Sarjeant fell on the second turn. In the re-run, despite a good first lap effort by Lambert, Jacobs and Morris took the five points.

It got worse in heat 10 when former Bee Piotr Pawlicki got it together after two poor opening rides to combine with another Bee, Wells, for a 5-1 over Fisher and Andersen in the fastest time of the night.

This brought the scores level and to many people the odds were now on the visitors.

Bees fighting spirit, however, was not going to let them down and in heat 11 Hansen used the outside line to good effect and post a valuable win over Woffinden. With Harris taking third Bees were now back ahead.

Interval watering had made the outside line very fast and grippy and in heat 12 Fisher, going wide, fought out a good battle with Thorssel and took the lead coming out of turn two. Lambert fell on the second lap but quickly cleared the track as not to undo Fisher’s good work.

Andersen and Harris needed to take maximum points from heat 13 and after a tight first turn achieved it quite comfortably with a disappointing Woffinden running his second last place.

Lambert again used the outside to take the lead in a heat 14 re-run but could not hold the more experienced Ty Proctor. With Jacobs taking third after Sarjeant had earlier been excluded, Bees now led by 48-42.

This left an intriguing position in heat 15. Bees needed a 5-1 to gain an extra league point while Wolves needed the maximum to draw the match.

Something was always going to happen and on the first lap Harris and Pawlicki were neck and neck on the back straight before Harris came off. Pawlicki was deemed the cause of the stoppage and was excluded.

In the restart Harris was an easy winner with Thorssel holding off Hansen the make the final score 48-42 to Bees to give them two league points.

Scorers: Harris 11(2), Hansen 11(1), Fisher 8(1), Andersen 8, Lambert 6, Howarth 3(1), Sarjeant 1.