SPEEDWAY: Alan Goodman’s column


Emil Sayfutdinov’s long-awaited home debut for Coventry Buildbase Bees has been delayed even further after a horrific crash in Poland, pictures of which can be seen on Bees official website, on Sunday has left him with concussion.

He was originally due to ride on Friday against King’s Lynn but the previously reported availability problems got too much and Bees management were left with little option to cancel the meeting a couple of days beforehand.

Bees did however have another debutant on Monday, Peter Kildemand making an impressive debut in the reserve spot with a paid ten-point return. Bees had been weak in this position and Kildemand had been brought in to replace the out of touch Richard Sweetman. With Nick Morris returning from injury, Bees looked a lot stronger in the lower half although they could not match Lukas Dryml who scored an amazing paid twenty-one for Eastbourne. Fortunately the rest of the team could not match his efforts and in a rain affected meeting, Bees returned to their winning ways taking all three league points over the high-flying Eagles.

Bees 46, Eastbourne 39,

(Abandoned after heat fourteen, result stands)

Elite League

Rory Schlein was a late call-up for his second appearance as a guest for Bees and he made the start in heat one, only to be passed by Bjarne Pedersen coming out of turn two. Kenni Larsen took third spot for a share of the points.

Kildemand came out in heat two and earned the crowd’s approval by going round the outside of both visitors and quickly recording his first race win in Bee’s colours.

The visitor’s Cameron Woodward fell on turn two of heat three after receiving a shove from Ryan Fisher. The race was not stopped but Fisher had to be content watching a stupendous battle between Simon Gustafsson and Przemyslaw Pawlicki with the Bees man taking the lead at the end of the third lap.

Edward Kennett and Kildemand combined for a comfortable maximum in heat four before Eastbourne pulled two back after Pawlicki and Fisher got in each other’s way on the first turn. At this stage rain had started to fall and the race time was some two seconds slower than the previous one.

Schlein took the lead in heat six before the race was stopped after Larsen appeared to clip a back wheel and take a nasty tumble on the Coventry turn. The rerun turned out to be a good race between Schlein and Joonas Kylmakorpi. This race was stopped on the third lap after Timo Lahti fell on the third lap. The race was awarded to Schlein. The rain had fortunately stopped for the moment and Kennett used the outside line to good effect and easily win heat seven.

Dryml was proving the biggest resistance to a Bees onslaught and despite a good attempt by Pawlicki was the winner of heat eight. Larsen got the better of Lewis Bridger to take third place.

In an incident-packed heat nine, Eastbourne led from the gate. Fisher drove hard underneath Kylmakorpi on turn two and the Eastbourne man then withdrew from the race. Fisher tried the wide line to catch Dryml. Pawlicki followed suit but only got too close to his partner and took a nasty tumble. Once again the race was awarded with the visitors taking a 3-2 heat advantage.

Heat ten saw a good ride from Larsen. After making a hash of the start he used the inside line to good effect and led the race by the end of the lap.

Kennett had to overtake Dryml to win heat eleven while Morris, after being passed by Pedersen and seemingly out of contention, found some extra speed to repass his man on the last turn.

This left the visitors ten points adrift and not surprisingly Dryml was given a tactical ride in heat twelve. He duly collected the six points with Fisher second and Kildemand riding a good race to just keep out Gustafsson.

There was more incident in heat thirteen. In a tight first turn Kennett and Dryml went on the outside line and a collision at one stage looked inevitable, but it Schlein who caused a stoppage by running into Pedersen. This left Kennett to face the Eastbourne pair alone. After missing the gate he surprised them both by taking the inside line and leading out of the turn. He went on to win his fourth ride.

Inevitably Dryml was brought into heat fourteen, his sixth outing in seven races, and he led from the start. His race was made slightly easier with Pawlicki and Morris getting into a bit of a muddle on the first turn. Pawlicki soon got clear and a fence-scraping battle ensued with Dryml holding out.

The rain had returned with a vengeance and it was no surprise that a halt was called to proceedings. Bees needed three points from the final race to hold on to the three points and with Dryml having taken his full quota of rides they should, barring mishaps, easily acquired them. The final result of 46-39 would have been a lot higher but for the efforts of Dryml who scored over half of his team’s total.

After the past couple of weeks this performance gave hope to Bees fans, especially the improvement at reserve. Kennett was unbeaten in his four rides and the rest of the team all made valuable contributions.

Bees’ scorers: Kennett 12, Kildemand 7(3), Pawlicki 7, Larsen 6(1), Schlein 6, Fisher 5, Morris 3(1).

There is no meeting on Friday as the British GP takes place at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday. It is hoped that Sayfutdinov will be fit to take his place as coach bookings have increased considerably since his signing.

Bees are in action on Monday when they pay their first visit of the season to Monmore Green for an Elite League match against Wolverhampton.

Alan Goodman