CRICKET: Emphatic victory lifts Rugby to seventh in table

Rugby captain Owen Edwards
Rugby captain Owen Edwards

Six wickets for Edwards and four for Golding

WARCL Premier Division

Coleshill vs Rugby

Rugby’s emphatic return to form continued, as their opening bowlers decimated Coleshill’s batting line-up to set up a 9-wicket victory.

Owen Edwards won just his third toss in nine matches and had no hesitation in choosing to bowl first on a pitch that would clearly assist the bowlers.

He didn’t have to wait long for this decision to be back up, as Lee Golding clean bowled Sunny Ahmed with the first ball of the match.

It was then over to Edwards himself, who bowled a hostile opening burst and claimed two more wickets in the fourth over of the match.

None of Coleshill’s batsmen were able to combat the swing and pace of Rugby’s opening attack, as both bowlers took full advantage of a surface that gave them plenty of assistance.

The bowlers were backed up well by some good catching and reduced Coleshill to 46 for nine.

Junaid Ahmed (17 not out) was the only batsmen to reach double figures adding 16 for the last wicket, before his side were all out for 62 from 19.2 overs.

Edwards (9.2-4-21-6) and Golding (10-2-32-4) were the only bowlers needed by Rugby.

Rugby’s new look opening partnership started well last week with runs against Bedworth and Asaad Qureshi and Rishi Tank showed exactly how to handle a lively track.

The pair were watchful early on, but punished anything loose when the bad balls came, slowly chipping away at Coleshill’s score.

They added 35, before Tank (24) was caught attempting a big drive, but they had dispelled any fears of a nervous run chase by this stage.

Qureshi (19 not out) and Matt Ewer (17 not out) eased Rugby home in the 15th over with nine wickets to spare, moving their side up to seventh in the table ahead of next week’s clash with Nuneaton.

WARCL Division 3

Rugby 2nds vs RMCC 1sts

A depleted Rugby side worked hard against a strong RMCC outfit to secure a losing draw for the second week running, largely thanks to another fine innings by Barry Taylor.

RMCC won the toss and chose to bat first, but ran into a testing opening spell from Matt Johnson who bowled unchanged for 12-5-23-2.

Jonathan Sage also picked up a wicket, as Rugby took the early initiative, but RMCC’s middle order fought back after drinks.

Junade Shujaat (58) and Saleem Mumtaz (65 not out) picked up the tempo, before some powerful late hitting from Tuffail Dar (29 not out) carried his side to 243-6 from their 50 overs.

Rugby’s reply started badly when Chris Evans (2) edged to the wicket keeper, but Jeevan Barhey (14) looked in good nick until he received a rough lbw decision, via his inside edge.

A third wicket soon fell, but Taylor and Hugh Cochrane batted confidently up to the half way stage and well positioned with the hosts needing to score at 6-an-over, but with wickets in hand.

However, when Cochrane (23) chipped tamely to mid wicket, Mo Sadiq (2) was trapped lbw and, most crucially, Taylor (79) holed out to long on, Rugby’s hopes of a win were dashed.

Akshay Vaghela (27) and Sage (20) batted sensibly to ensure Rugby were not bowled out, before a flurry of late wickets fell in a hunt for bonus points and the innings closed on 181-9.

WARCL Division 10 East

Collycroft 2nds vs Rugby 3rds

Rugby’s 3rd team kept up the pressure on league leaders Warwick, with their third winning draw of the season and now sit 19 points behind the top spot.

Rugby won the toss, chose to bat first and started confidently through Abhay Lal and Shreyas Honnalli, until the later was caught for 17.

An aggressive stand between Lal (67) and Suj Barhey (67) had the scoreboard racing along, before a brisk cameo from Adam Milsom (22).

However, after bringing the 200 up in the 27th over, Rugby’s middle order collapsed and it was left to number eight Avanish Mistry (29) to ensure they posted 273 all out.

Rugby did not bowl well early in Collycroft’s reply and openers Andrew Sinclair (73) and Jordan Fletcher (43) took full advantage.

However, once Barhey got the first break through, Rugby gradually took back control of the game, although dropped catches restricted their progress.

Lal (2-19) was the pick of the bowling, while Tom Mitchell, Milsom, Liam Slaughter and Anand Pophali all took a wicket each, as Collycroft closed on 213-8.