RUGBY: Another good win for Newbold

Newbold won 49-10 against Wellingborough on Saturday   Pictures by Mike Baker
Newbold won 49-10 against Wellingborough on Saturday Pictures by Mike Baker

Trip to Matlock for re-arranged game this weekend

Midlands 1 East

Lloyd Warner on his 70-yard run to the line

Lloyd Warner on his 70-yard run to the line

Newbold 49

Wellingborough 10

Wellingborough have proved a tough side for Newbold to beat over the last few years and are one of the few sides to have inflicted a defeat on the Bold this season, so this was an eagerly awaited match up for the Parkfield Road boys, writes Alan Bale.

Newbold’s last game at Cut Throat Lane had been postponed for a week, so it was a much-changed side that were defeated, when played a week later and the boys in red and black were determined to put that right, this time out, as Ethan Wookey kicked an early penalty into the corner in the opening minutes.

Shaun Pollard battles with Wellingborough at Parkfield Road on Saturday

Shaun Pollard battles with Wellingborough at Parkfield Road on Saturday

Three phases later, after Ben Thompson had won the lineout ball, skipper Danny Facer went straight through the gap, to give his side an early lead, Wookey converted for 7-0.

Vickers kept his side in the game, as his smart cross field kicking made it a simple try for his side, out wide, for 7-5.

Just moments later, Danny Treharne fed the ball off the top of the line, Declan George spun it out wide as Newbold attacked on the flank, the ball came back inside from Ben Thompson for Stuey Houghton to score his team’s second converted touchdown for 14-5.

Lloyd Warner always looked dangerous as his partnership with Phil Reed created problems for Boro throughout the game.

Wellingborough worked hard to win possession and move the ball out through their strong back line, but were thwarted by an even harder working Newbold back row, with KJ Henry always prominent.

It was delightful to see Dan O’Brien go through the gap, offloading to Warner for the third try, once more converted by Wookey for 21-5.

Phil Reed’s hard working follow up of Dan O’Brien’s huge kick won his side a penalty, which Wookey cleverly worked into the corner once more.

An almost masterclass, with Ben Thompson’s catch and powerful drive by the front eight brought about the bonus point score for KJ Henry, Wookey again adding the extras for 28-5. Back came Boro, still working hard, just about deserving a second score for 28-10.

A complete replica of the last score was completed, as KJ Henry went over again, wide out, Wookey converted and it was 35-10.

As far as Newbold were concerned, an absolutely awesome first 40 minutes that Wellingborough simply had no answer to.

Pressure at the start of the second half from Wellingborough achieved no reward, resolute defence and a measure of this side’s fitness this season, as Ben Thompson sprinted down the wing to clear the danger for his team.

As the visiting side searched for a way through a solid home defence, the minutes ticked away, which only achieved a stalemate for 20 minutes, before a powerful drive from a scrum allowed Sam Thompson to score another converted try.

The biggest cheer of the day came as the sheer look of horror on Lloyd Warner’s face for all to see, as he cleverly intercepted, fully 70 metres out, knowing it was a straight sprint for the line, delighting the crowd, as he touched down (well, fell down!) ensuring a grand finale, whilst oxygen was called for and the ref blew the final whistle at 49-10.

Ethan Wookey had returned a simply fabulous kicking display with seven out of seven conversions, a sure sign that Dan O’Brien is sharpening up his shooting boots in the background.

On this performance, Wookey isn’t quite ready to simply hand over the kicking duties, a great position for the club to be in.

This weekend, Newbold travel to Matlock who are fighting a relegation battle but managed a good victory over Old Laurentians last Saturday, so another tough game for Danny Facer’s side.