RUGBY: Fine win for Newbold Colts

Victory over Nuneaton

Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 10:26 pm
Updated Friday, 25th November 2016, 8:44 am
Newbold Colts in action earlier this season against Burton

Warwickshire Colts League

Newbold Colts 55

Nuneaton Colts 12

Defending up the hill, ‘Bold weathered five minutes of pressure well before winning a scrum. Man of the match Callum Whiteside made his first contribution breaking the gainline before Fin Wiiliamson burst up the wing to make good yards before feeding winger Reegan McLaren.

From the ensuing ruck the ball was moved smartly across the back lien to the opposite wing where Rui Travaada beat three defenders to score the first of his hat-trick in the corner. Nuneaton dusted themselves off and continued to put pressure on the ‘Bold defence but, as for the rest of the game, it held firm and Nuns found it hard to make any ground.

Turning the ball over, ‘Bold then scored their try of the season so far as a series of aggressive carries and dynamic rucks saw ‘Bold at the Nuns 10m line. A wonderful series of offloads and passes, involving forwards and backs, left Ben Farrell in some space and he set off at pace, cleverly stepping inside to draw and commit the full back before offloading out of the back of his hand to the overlapping Rui who crossed the line. Fin Reed converted.

A few minutes later, Carter Murphy fielded a long territory kick in the 22 and had the presence of mind to head back diagonally across the field to Callum who’d dropped back to support. Receiving the ball on his 10m line, Callum used pace and strength to burst through the covering forwards and beat the covering defenders to go under the posts for his first of four tries on the day – Fin R converting. Nuns pressure paid off a couple of minutes before HT when the ‘Bold backs were guilty of overplaying in their 22 and a ball that should have been cleared found itself in the hands of the Nuns outside centre who muscled over.

‘Bold had lost a bit of the rhythm, focus and commitment that had put them in a commanding lead and this continued into the early part of the 2nd half when a fired up Nuns put ‘Bold under immense pressure and after a series of 5m lineouts they struck for a converted score. This proved to be the wake-up call needed and straight from the kick-off ‘Bold contested and won possession, the ball was fed to Callum who proceeded to run straight through the defence and under posts. Fin R converted.

Receiving the restart, it was pretty much same again! Curtley fielded the ball, Callum made great yards and fast hands saw the ball fed out wide to Rui who burns down wing before cutting inside to get under posts – Fin converting.

‘Bold were rampant now and a nice break and step from Kear Bale put Callum through and after flattening the brave Nuns full back he went in under the post for his third. Curtley capped a fine display with a deserved try from a tap penalty before Nuns had their spirit broken after Kear emerged with the ball from the middle of a Nuns maul on the Bold line, flipped it to Oisin who moved it quickly to Callum who ran from under his posts to score his fourth of the afternoon. Dale Heaton scored the final try to get a deserved score to top off some devastating tackling and defence at centre – converted by Oisin.

It all came together today. Availability, but more importantly, attitude, focus and commitment. A fine win in some style against a very good side.