RUGBY: Long Buckby

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

The weekend’s round-up

First XV away to Market Harborough 49-14

There were some good individual performances from Buckby in this hard game but team-wise they were no match for such a well drilled and well organised opposition.

Harborough kicked off with the strong wind behind them and throughout the first half made good advantage of it to keep them in the Buckby half. Their efforts were rewarded after seven minutes when their very effective scrum set up the winger to go over in the corner.

Buckby’s scrum looked good to start off with - and they won at least one against the head - but Harborough had clearly had double Weetabix that morning and were soon dominating. An example came some minutes later, when, from a Harborough scrum on the Buckby 5m line, the hosts drove over impressively with Buckby unable to answer. The conversion brought the score to 12-0.

A further two penalties for Harborough brought the half time score to 18-0.

The strong wind was such a significant factor in this game that Buckby were not unduly upset at being 18 points down at the half way stage and were confident of redressing the shortfall in the second half. Irritatingly for Buckby, the wind dropped significantly and failed to confer the benefit expected.

A further blow was the loss of flanker Craig Mason, who had had an outstanding game up to that point, with what looked like a bad shoulder injury on the stroke of halftime. Things got even worse when Josh Burton, the other flanker, was sin-binned for spoiling leaving Buckby’s scrum a little unsettled to day the least.

Harborough took full advantage of the situation and soon had their forwards producing a stream of quick clean ball for their electric backs to run onto, so before long, Buckby were trailing a miserable 37-0. Respect was salvaged with some outstanding open play by prop David Beveridge, concluding with a very fine grubber kick to touch inside the Harborough 22. A well disrupted line out produced good ball for Scott Bayes to tank his way through (he never goes round) the opposition to score. McNally added the conversion to bring the score to 37-7.

Further unstoppable play by Harborough put them up to 49-7 but then further good lineout work by Buckby in their host’s half managed to set up Johnny Hughes at speed to run in a fine try. The conversion brought the final score to 49-14.

So, a pretty emphatic defeat but all things considered a not half bad performance from a depleted side with a shortage of subs.

LBRFC Second XV Home to Sharnbrook and Colworth 20-8

LBRFC Colts home to Rugby St Andrew 45-0

Buckby made hard work of this friendly against a much improved St Andrews side.

In a scrappy and error-strewn first half, Buckby dominated but were surprisingly disappointing at the ruck and also conceded too many penalties. The half time score of 12-0 was a poor showing considering the amount of possession the hosts had.

Some inspirational words from the coaches at the break saw a refocused Buckby side take to the pitch in the second half and for them completely dominate the opposition and run in a number of good tries whicst simulataneously maintaining a rock-solid defence.

Final score: 45-0. Man of the Match: James Hare.