RUGBY: Long Buckby keep on winning

Victories over Bedford Queens and Leighton Buzzard

Long Buckby 1st 36

Bedford Queens 1st 12

Seven minutes of sublime rugby was enough to see off a spirited Bedford Queens at Buckby.

Playing with the gale and the slope, Buckby forced Queens to fumble from the kick off, but they did the same from the resultant scrum and this and several other chances went begging until their persistence was rewarded when Jack Keightley forced his way over after 20 minutes. Within two minutes, Jake Toseland and Johnny Nixon combined speed to put Titch Ryan over. Rampaging forward play then allowed Tom Evans to cut through from the wing to score by the posts. Straight from the kick off, captain Deej Fair received a beautifully timed pass from Blake Wintle, and his powerful break put in Craig Mason. The Buckby pack again poured through from the next kick off and this time Titch Ryan raced over for his second try. Jack Keightley converted three. The seven minutes were over.

Buckby then took their foot off the pedal and the score stayed at 31-0 until half time. Queens changed their game plan after the break and stuck the ball up their shirts resulting in a try from their heavyweight forwards. Denied of the ball, Buckby defended extremely well and tried to break out of their own half when they could, until replacement centre, Nathan Maddox, stole the ball which gave Buckby the momentum to put Simon Oakey over in the corner. Against the still raging gale Buckby were again pinned back and despite breaking out several times conceded a second try in the final minute. They came off the field battered and bruised with several walking wounded who hopefully will be fit for next week’s important away game versus Rugby St Andrews.

Man of the match was Craig Mason.

Long Buckby 2nds 21

Leighton Buzzards development XV 17

Long Buckby 2nds faced a tough match against Leighton Buzzards development XV. This was a young Midlands 1 development side with a few old heads thrown in for good measure and they looked a useful outfit.

Buckby started brightly with some powerful forward play up the right flank and quick hands in the backs resulting in an early try in the left corner for Nick Twigg.

Buckby then lost their focus and some sloppy tackling let Leighton Buzzard through almost immediately to take a narrow lead.

Some very strange decisions from the referee throughout the match gradually got to the Buckby side and their indiscipline cost them yards on too many occasions. Credit goes to the young Leighton Buzzard players who carried on regardless and kept pressure on Buckby for the whole 80 minutes.

Having been behind at half time Buckby struck back to level the scores and then took the lead through a Johnny Palmer penalty before another well worked try took Buckby clear.Again Buckby’s indiscipline let Leighton Buzzard back into the game when they scored another try of their own to make Buckby work for their victory in the final few minutes.

Man of the match - Steff Darkes