RUGBY: Newbold - big weekend ahead

Share this article

Just one win away from Twickenham

Saturday is a big day for Newbold who have to travel to Rochdale to take on Littleborough in the Semi Final of the National Vase, victory here would take them to Twickenham where they would compete in the National Final against the winners of either Old Richians or Teddington.

Home advantage will play a big part in the outcome of this game, if Newbold can take enough supporters away to this game the roar of a Newbold crowd will make a big difference,

Coaches are leaving from Parkfield Rd at 9 .00 am on Saturday morning, if you want to reserve a place please contact the club ASAP. Make sure you are there, this is, as big a game as Newbold have played in for the last 25 years.

Woodrush 15 – 21 Newbold RFC

Midlands W3 S

With the Semi Final of the Senior Vase one week away, promotion already secured, the game against Woodrush who had already ensured their status in the league, it would have appeared that the game was only a warm up for the coming game against Littleborough on Saturday. Newbold decided to rest several players carrying niggling injuries and in addittion to have a look at some of the squad players hoping to secure a spot for the starting 15 on Saturday. The visitors started with the same ferocity that they have in previous weeks overturning the kick off and advancing to the line, good support from the back row of Shaun Fereday, Danny Treharne and Will Allen to the fore, ensured the ball was kept alive after contact, albeit the final pass with the goal line begging was knocked forward allowing Woodrush to clear. The first ten minutes belonged to the visitors as the intensity of the game was wiped out with a simple mistakes after piecing together some really good plays. Finally Woodrush broke through the middle and Newolds tackellers were contiually penalised allowing the home side to advance into kicking range and finally converting to take a 3 – 0 lead. Newbold immediately went back into the opposition 22, winning a scrum with Woodrush wheeling it and Glen Bond converting the ensuing penalty 3 – 3. Newbold failed to secure the restart, and Woodrush pounced on to the loose ball, scooping it up and sprinting nearly 40 yards towards the goal line before being halted, a superb steal by Simon Ferriss and an even better clearance from Ben Harrison averted the danger. A great steal in the lineout form Will Allen sent Treharne streaking into the opposition half, winning another penalty, Bond narrowly missing but making up for it minutes later adding two more attempts as half time approached. 3 – 9 Half time.

Woodrush restarted the second half with Tom Newbold securing the ball and taking it into contact before releasing to Ferriss who flighted his kick deep into the home sides 22 getting a lovely bounce into touch. Not straight at the lineout gave Newbold the scrum,but the wheel reversed the put in, a good drive from Newbold shunted them forward putting the opposition scrum half under pressure, Treharne having a tremendous game stole the ball and dived over the line, Bond missing the conversion. 3 – 14. Fereday took the kick off, a deft little dummy sent him running forward with good support, feeding the threes who passed the ball across the width of the pitch but held up on the goal line loosing the ball allowing Woodrush the opportunity to clear, only finding Harrison who ran it back with Ferriss in support, finally winning a scrum 15 yards from the line. Fereday picked up found a gap freeing Ferriss who had one man to beat, his decisive hand off was enough as he powereed over the line, Bond adding the touch line conversion. 3 – 21. As has happened too many times in the past Newbold thinking the game was won sat back allowing the home side time and space up the middle of the park, a lovely break from the Woodrush centre opened up a huge hole in Newbolds defence and with good support from his backs raced to the line for a converted try. 10 – 21. The visitors kicked off, again overturning possession and feeding the ball to debutant youngster Alex Pitter, just 18 years old who was playing like someone who had, played there all season, his run took him into contact on the opposition goal line, where the ball was lost and the opportunity wasted. With Woodrush playing as if their lives depended on it Newbold were forced back for the first time in the game, a free kick against Newbold was quickly taken, catching Newbold unaware and producing a well taken try, wide out unconverted, reducing the deficit to 15 – 21. With the last ten minutes to play Treharne was yellow carded for a silly tackle reducing the visitors to 14 men. The game went from end to end with neither team getting the break until the last play of the game saw Woodrush pounce on a knock on from Newbold and advance forward, feeding the winger who had only his opposite number Tom Clarke to beat, however a superb try saving tackle bought the game to an end and another fine victory for Newbold.