RUGBY: Newbold on Avon

Newbold v Wellingborough earlier this month  (Picture by Andrew Carpenter)
Newbold v Wellingborough earlier this month (Picture by Andrew Carpenter)
Share this article

First team preparing for promotion play-offs and derby win for seconds

Midlands 2 East (South)

Northampton BBOB 10

Newbold 45

It proved to be another sociable and enjoyable luncheon hosted by the home side where they made a number of the Newbold committee very welcome, but of course the main business of the day was to travel the short distance to Northampton and secure a bonus points win, writes Alan Bale.

Eddie Allen took a magnificent catch from the kick off and his bustling run set Newbold on the offensive immediately, culminating in a penalty after just a few seconds.

Newbolds pack were once more dominant and it was fantastic that when Mitch Wells came on as a blood replacement for Nuttall, after just a few minutes, he was able to make a telling contribution. It was from a driving scrum that allowed Declan George to pick up and scissor with Lloyd Warner for the first score of the game, Bond converted and the Bold were on their way. Newbold exerted huge pressure on the home scrum, and as Houghton struck against the head, the forward momentum saw the ball spun wide to KJ Henry who went over for the second converted try and a 0-14 lead.

To their credit BBOB responded well, but it was poor tackling that allowed them to come back into the contest with an unconverted score and 5-14. Shaun Pollard went close, but as he chose to go inside, he was tackled well into touch. Micky Pails, with another hard working performance, took the catch in the line and his quick ball off the top went to Danny Facer, whose superb break was well supported by Danny Treharne who went over underneath the posts, Bond converted for 5-21. Newbold’s lapses in concentration, couple with their poor tackling led to a 2nd try for the home side and it was 10-21. More pressure on the home pack led to a few handbags and it was the BBOB player who received a yellow card, this was soon followed by the same for Mark Hyde. It was probably fitting that the ball bounced up kindly for Phil Reed to secure the fourth try and bonus point that secured Newbolds second place in the league as Bond converted for 10-28.

The next score was one of the best, as the ball went through the hands of Warner, Wookey & Rich Bannister, all making ground, as the ball was recycled to Reed, before finding its way to Shaun Pollard to score Newbolds 5th, which went unconverted and 10 -33. It had taken Newbold some 60 minutes to get into their stride, but it was Treharne, whose run from the kick off set up another chance for Pollard who was tackled just short. The ball found its way to Pollard again and this time he didn’t disappoint with a further converted try and 10-40.

There was no doubt though that the next try could be called the best of the season as 2nd row Mick Pails, side stepped, dummied and shimmied his way to the line from some 40 metres out for his first ever score for his side, something Im sure he will never forget, as all of his team mates applauded, the final score being 10-45. Maybe something to think about for Newbold, certainly long term, but it was three forwards that were in consideration for man of the match, the Bold backs not firing on all cylinders, as Facer & Treharne could not quite get the nod over Eddie Allen.

Newbold now play Spalding away on the 26th April who were runners up in Midlands 2 East(North), having a week to rest up and prepare for one last push that could see them promoted. Well done guys, you deserve it, one final massive performance will cap a magnificent season.

Newbold – Ethan Wookey, Shaun Pollard, Lloyd Warner, KJ Henry, Phil Reed, Glen Bond, Declan George, Ben Nuttall, Stu Houghton, Nick Walton(capt) Micky Pails, Danny Treharne, Mark Hyde, Danny Facer, Rich Bannister, Mitch Wells, Ricky Lee.

Newbold 2nd XV 23

Rugby St Andrews 2nd XV 22

Glorious conditions greeted the Andrews at Parkfield Road and a great game was to the order of the day. Newbold started strongly with fantastic free flow running with Ryan Plumb rolling back the years with some quality crash ball. Paddy Cunningham opened the scoring with a well struck penalty that was equally matched 5 minutes later by the Andrews 10. More great work from the pack saw Tom Dixon barnstorm his way over for a very well deserved try. Andrews were by no means out of it and came back strongly scoring a well taken converted try of their own to take the lead 8-10 and increased their hold on the game with another try with the aid of a misplaced official which ended with a Newbold player entering the bin for letting the official know his frustration.

Newbold were not done yet, Rhys Webster setting off at pace quickly recycled to Tom Clarke who sprinted down the wing with the elegance of a gazelle in full flight to bring the score back to within 4 points. Paddy decided not to strike the conversion however from the re start Ed Scott seized on the ball and ran through tackles like a knife through butter crashing over to give Paddy a lot easier kick and Newbold were back in front. More indiscretion from Andrews saw Paddy push the lead to 6 points with minutes left on the clock, Andrews got a second wind and came back with a late try that got the Newbold manager incensed when he spotted the ball was dropped but unseen by the official and the try was given. Missing the conversion the game was on a knife edge with only 1 point separating the teams, with seconds left on the clock Newbold were awarded a penalty that proved to be the last kick of the game. A great game spoilt by a number of incidents totally out of control of the players but in good spirit both teams left the pitch to rapturous applause. Once again a great local derby.