RUGBY: Newbold RFC

2nds and 3rds in action

Earlsdon welcomed Newbold 2’s extra gold which all expected to be a close affair. Newbold decided to give Earlsdon a few late Christmas presents allowing them to race into an early lead 12-0 lead. This seemed to awaken the mighty giants in the forwards with Dave Christian, Danny T and ever flexible Crabbe going on strong runs leading the DC wriggling through a hole he shouldn’t have got through to score converted by the meaty foot of Stu Houghton. This would normally lead to a comeback but with the “strong wind” backing the home team Newbold were pinned back leading to a mistake and allowing the Earlsdon fly off wriggle through to score.

The 2nd half was a different affair with motivational words from the management team and with the silver fox Simon Ferris coming on. Newbold started brightly with good work again from the forwards and backs a like but poor hands and questionable decisions leading to clever kick and chase try for the home team. Simon Blundell congratulated the referee on a top decision and the management team engaged in some interesting conversations on the side line. This galvanised the boys in the red and black and lead to a fantastic try with DC passing a flat ball to returning estate agent Luke Bayliss to score. This was followed by two more tries for DC himself who seemed to wiggle through holes like a snake and completed his hatrick. By this point nobody knew the score not even the ref but Newbold continued their dominance scoring a three more tries one going to Man of Match Dave Christian. Two more tries going to the ever improving Ashton one was a true wingers finish and one from a sliced cross kick in which Ashton slammed the ball into the ground and then caught it to score.

The final score apparently being 42-31. Shout outs must go out to our travelling supporters including spookies spectors, auntie and uncle Lockhart, nil by mouth and Jo with also Stayley babys followers being very vocal. Newbold welcome the Andrews this weekend which again will be a full blooded affair.

Newbold 3rd XV 36

Kenilworth 3rd XV 5

Kenilworth had a young energetic pack and had most of the breakdown possession in the first half.Consequently Newbold were living off scraps.Kenilworth opened the scoring with an unconverted try0-5.Tom Holroyd picked up from a ruck and decided to run himself, through a couple of tackles to jink his way over.Converted by Martin Shaw 7-5.Later in the half Ryan Plumb made a break only to be caught short of the line,Shaun O’Neill then helped with a quick ruck and the ball spilled out and Plumb with electric reactions chased and pounced on it to score. Converted by Shaw. Half time 14-5.Wilson at scrum half and a fresh front row of Mick Asquith David Smith and Paul Love now took charge of the srcum. New young legs in the back row of Kevin Smith, Vinnie Ogg and Damion Gray now took control of the ruck situation.

Straight from the kick-off David Smith caught and charged at the heart of the opposition from the breakdown Wilson quickly fed Shaw who kicked directly to the corner for the quick Rhys Webster to pick up and was caught short but managed to slip the ball back to David Smith who scored24-5.Within minutes a slick move in the backs allowed Neil McCollin to make a break and selflessly feed Webster to score his senior debut try. Newbold stayed on top for most of the 2nd half with John Dixon and Paul Marriot working tirelessly in the lineout and around the pitch.More pressure near Kenilworths line allowed P Ecker to feed Shaw who dummied three players to score and convert his own try.31-5. Just before the final whistle Rhys Webster again had a clear run at two of the opposition and ran around them to finish his Man of the Match outing.36-5. Thanks to Max Johnson and Adam Shaw for their help on the day.