Road named to honour John Tomalin
The access road to St Andrews RFC’s clubhouse and pitches on Hillmorton Grounds now bears the name ‘John Tomalin Way’.
This is a fitting tribute to John Tomalin who served the club as a player and official for more than 60 years, a remarkable achievement that he repeated for Rugby Cricket Club.
A very talented fly half, John first played for Saints in 1946, captaining the first team in their most successful years from 1954 to 1960, and continued to turn out until the mid 1960s. He then took up refereeing and was widely appreciated for his firm but sympathetic handling of games.
From the earliest days John was heavily involved in the administration of the club, taking on the roles of Fixture Secretary, General Secretary and then Treasurer, a position he held until 2010, when ill health forced his reluctant retirement.
He was a driving force behind Saints’ move from Mill Road to Ashlawn Road and his shrewd financial management ensured that the club could continue to thrive and develop in their new home. It is, therefore totally appropriate that there should be this permanent reminder of his massive contribution to local sport in general and St Andrews in particular.
The sign was officially unveiled by John’s two nieces, Leslie and Karen, in the presence of the club’s past players and Vice Presidents, most of whom knew John personally and were delighted that he should be honoured in this way.