Saints unbeaten so far

Rugby St Andrews v Deepings Rugby St Andrew ground, Ashlawn Road.
Rugby St Andrews v Deepings Rugby St Andrew ground, Ashlawn Road.

Midlands 3 East (South)

Rugby St Andrews 32

Deepings 16

Saints returned to league action to record a bonus point win over Deepings to remain one of five sides currently unbeaten this season.

Saints made a good start and were rewarded after just three minutes when Grant Taylor crossed for the opening try.

Saints pack were creating a good platform and when the ball was moved quickly they found an overlap for Sam White to cross in the corner after 10 minutes.

The scoring then dried up with the Deepings defence now organised and quickly snuffing out the Saints attacks whilst their pack managed to slow down Saints possession.

A long range penalty from the visitors drifted wide but they were successful with an 18th minute penalty to reduce the deficit.

The game was becoming more even but Saints were guilty of forcing the pace with the ball going to ground as they tried to find a direct route to the try line.

A third try eventually arrived in the 36th minute when Patrick Howard was on hand to take a pass and score at full stretch, converted by Ryan Taylor.

Deepings though had the final say of the half with a second penalty to reduce Saints lead to 17-6 at halftime.

Saints put themselves under pressure from the restart and Deepings took advantage, keeping Saints on the back foot. They finally crossed for a converted try after 50 minutes to move within a score. Saints started to make changes to their line up and the fresh legs paid dividends, good interpassing from Saints allowed Mark Brightwell to go over for a try on the hour to also earn the bonus point.

Deepings were successful with a third penalty with 10 minutes remaining to again move within a converted try of Saints but the hosts worked their way back up field and Ryan Taylor kicked a penalty on 74 minutes to restore the two score cushion.

Saints had the final say with a couple of minutes remaining. A kick ahead was carried over and Saints drove Deepings back from the resulting scrum for Paul Farr to claim the try, converted by Ryan Taylor.

n Saints played well in the opening quarter but lost their way through the game until the final ten minutes, they will hope that they can improve on this performance when they travel to Luton this weekend to face Stockwood Park.

Broadstreet 3rd 42 Rugby St Andrews 24 (Warwickshire One)

Rugby St Andrews 3rd 21 Broadstreet 4th (Warwickshire Five)

Southam Colts 22 Rugby St Andrews Colts 7

U15s: Rugby Lions 5

Rugby St Andrews 26

Saints extended their run of successes over neighbours Lions with a comfortable win in their first outing of the season.

Saints were quickly into their stride and after only six minutes fly half Parsons ghosted down the blind side for an opportunist try.

This was soon followed by flanker Joel Hammond’s touch down, converted by Tom Oglethorpe.

Rugby responded with a series of attacks but were caught out by a superb counter.

Quick hands and deft offloading put full back Oglethorpe into space for a try that he then improved for a 19-point interval lead.

Shortly after the restart Louis Carrouch broke away and the supporting Oglethorp went over for his second and added the conversion.

Saints then lost their attacking edge as Rugby came back strongly and were finally rewarded with a late score.

Saints squad has plenty of pace, skill and individual talent and if they can improve their 15-a-side teamwork they can look forward to an exciting and successful season.

More rugby page 94